Question on David Lyon's "Surveillance Society"

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 24 17:45:11 PST 2002

I am helping a friend translate David Lyon's "Surveillance Society" into Italian. A phrase has come up "Embodied personhood" as used in the text below. Is anyone familiar with this term and what it might refer to?

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks, Thomas

"How, in particular, does surveillance power operate? Given the range of surv. Sectors and sites, can one theoretical resource serve for all? I argue that theoretical resource must be found that do justice both to the concerns of Marx or Weber but also to those of the so-called poststructturalists. Neither tendency seems able to account adequately for surveil., yet both offer helfull insights. EMBODIED PERSONHOOD offers some grounds for critique that helps to weigh the contributions of other theories".

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx