Lenin today

Greg Schofield g_schofield at dingoblue.net.au
Sun Mar 24 18:54:02 PST 2002

I suppose the distinctions are a matter of degree, we certainly have them on the left, but far from universally so.

Fixated beliefs have to be associated with youth where they play an important part in the process of maturation. Do old leftists become conservative?

Some no-doubt having long survived on some fixed ideas do suddenly find that they are vaporious and fall back on less fragile myths. But they are a minority. I have known too many old communists where the flame burns bright to their last days to believe anything else.

There is of course another side, where experience teaches patience and knowledge bestows a grasp of subtlities sometimes lost on young firebrands who see this as mere conservativism as opposed to the love of the "radical" as an all-embracing solution.

And in between somewhere lie the opportunist, who cull careers from mouthing progressive ideas but in all practical spheres promote theoretical distain.

I have not been following the recent debate to which you refer - so apply the distinctions where you may. If the problem is with the conservative right is a Peter Pan existence, the problem with the left is religiousity, fragile utopias and a fear of self-criticism immune from any sense of irony. It is the fixations of the converted, sometimes a product of youth, but of a different order than the unconscious, visceral, predjudices of the right.

The left's dilema stems from an intellectual disability encapsulated quite nicely by the introduction to the US The Declaration of Independence - "We hold these truths to be self-evident..."

Greg

--- Message Received --- From: "Peter K." <peterk at enteract.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 13:02:20 -0600 Subject: Re: Lenin today

Greg:
>I was struck in how people from the right to conservative were Peter Pans >intellectually. I do not
mean for the longing always of "how it was" but deeper. It is if >their vital social opinions became stuck in the early teenage years and they never >grew out of them.

However, isn't it common for people, usually intellectuals, to become more conservative as they get older. There's the old quip about a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged. Does this hold true in Australia or, like the direction of water going down a drain, is it the reverse? I think you're on to something with the emotional immaturity of conservative, although there are some immature lefties in evidence on this list.

Use LesTecML Mailer (http://www.lestec.com.au/) * Powerful filters. * Create you own headers. * Have email types launch scripts. * Use emails to automat your work. * Add comments on receive. * Use scripts to extract and check emails. * Use MAID to create taylor-made solutions. * LesTecML Mailer is fully controlled by REXX. * A REXX interpreter is freely available. _______________________________________________ _______________________________________________