Lenin today

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Mar 24 19:27:36 PST 2002

Greg Schofield wrote:

> I suppose the distinctions are a matter of degree, we certainly have them on the left, but far from universally so.
>
> Fixated beliefs have to be associated with youth where they play an important part in the process of maturation. Do old leftists become conservative?

Focusing on fixed beliefs as something that can be discussed in the abstract is a really foolish fixed belief. I would imagine that an overwhelming proportion of the fixed beliefs are shared by an overwhelming proportion of humanity. To label a belief a "fixed belief" and then sit back smugly, cross your hands, and fancy you have said something is simply offensive.

Is it true? Is it relevant? Does it apply in the particular context? If it's true, who the fuck cares whether it's fixed or not. And if it's false, being free and unfixed does not correct its falseness. All statements about fixed ideas represent a stupid attempt at mindreading. The only way you can know that an idea is fixed is to examine the private motives of the person who expresses it.

Such phrases are always totally unprincipled.

Carrol