Reactionary Slander

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 24 22:23:33 PST 2002

> Justin:...pervasive anti-Semitism among blacks.
>

>^^^^^
>
>CB: To be more precise, there isn't pervasive anti-Semitism among Black
>people. Black people's pervasive criticism of Jewish people is the same as
>of other white people: criticism of their racism.

Neither the poll data nor political anecdote support this. The poll data show that blacks tend to agree to the antisemitic stereotypes (Jews are clannish, greedy, pushy, control things, etc.) more than whites or other minority groups. Politically, one can look at at the attitudes towards Jews represented by the likes of Farrakhan and the pre-reconstructed Malcolm X. They didn't say that Jews are racist--many are, although in fact, the poll data and political history show that Jews are far less racist than other whites--Farrakhan said "Judaisim is a gutter religion." That sort of talk rings bell in the black community, and I'm surprised to hear you deny it.

Sometimes the stereotypes are more less innocently maintained. I was talking at the time of Gulf War to a minority outreach center at Ohio State, speaking for an antiwar group with people of all faiths and nione, it was an antiwar group, not a Jewish one. Our line was a "just resolutiona of all territorial disputes in the region." A black nationalist (a fellow OSU faculty member!) accused the grou of being a "Jew front" and damned me for not demanding the destructionof the "Zionist entity." A NOI guy in the audience actually criticized him in the storm that followed, and afterwards a preacher took me aside and told me he was sorry about the outburst, said he admired Jews, the way they made money for "their people" and "stuck together." This was honestly supposed to make me feel better. I was flabbergasted, rendered almost speechlessm if you can imagine.

The only times I have ever encountered overt antisemistim of the naked sort is from blacks. I don't feel threatened--Farrakhan's no Hitler--but it's disturbing, and it's a problem that the African American community has to deal with internally. It divides us to have racist Jews and antisemitic blacks. I'll work on the racist Jews. Charles, and you?

jks