Spineless Max S. and Reactionary Slander (was RE: Russian Israelis)

pradeep ppillai at sprint.ca
Mon Mar 25 10:00:06 PST 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:
>And soemtimes it seems like critics of Zionism accept Eban's terms of
>debate completely. I don't, and wish other people wouldn't.
>Doug

Yeah but Doug who's doing that? A bunch of cranks at the margins? Your being paranoid over at most a marginal phenomena and one which is no worse than the conflating or generalizations that one finds for any ethnic grp -- and certainly one in this case that has no effect on anything.The bizarre paranoia and sensitivity over anti-semitism(as noted by Sergio) especially when its not there is not fortuitous but serves a real purpose. There is an inverse relationship between the real persecution Jews (or any probably any ethnic grp)face and the the amount of public hysteria that percieved slights are likely to induce. In the case of antisemitism the ridiculous hysteria and oversensitivity emerged in the wake of the '67 and since then every bigot has fancied him/herself the bestest and mostest anti-'antisemite'. Its primary is role for ideological policing both in defense of american forign policy and against occasionally recalcitrant minorities(In one of the more stupid examples that US political culture is prone to, Reagan used antisemitism as a charge against the Sandanistas in the 80s, with that fraud Elie Wiesel following in tow). I dont think you realize how ridiculous not to mention obscene your trying to equate the vile racism and imperialist policies that are being protected from view with this charge of "anti-semitism" and the threat that real antisemitism poses today, which as people like Chomsky and Finkelstein have repeatedly pointed out, is a as much a real threat today as anti-Irish or anti-Italian feeling. It also shows how the US left, including you, often comes across as a paronoid, insecure community constantly subject to and kept in line by the ideological policing of the likes of the NEwRepublic, DP, Dissent and cops like Max and Brad.