Questions for Justin and Luke

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 25 08:59:22 PST 2002

>Might cannot make right in anything but a very trivial sense (as I believe
>Carrol has already stated). For it to be true in any sense, one would have
>to deny the existence of justice and value. If one goes that far, they
>cannot plausibly claim
>that one system of governance is superior to another.

I take it you reject Hobbes' view that any government is better than none, which is clearly a might makes right argument of a sort. Yeah, it's a sort of social contract argument but "Covenants extorted by fear are valid," he says. Interestingly Kant runs a version of the same line. Jeremy Waldron think's he basically Hobbesean on this. jks