The Oscars

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 26 17:26:40 PST 2002

I am unable to respond to Joanna's question, since I dont watch much tv myself. I thought this year's Oscars was even worse than usual. At least last year, "Pollock" got an award and so did "Requiem for a dream"...."Dancer in the Dark" wasn't even nominated for anything except best song.

This year...nothing. Mulholland Drive and Memento got nominations but that was it.

I really dont think that the fact that two african-americans won major awards changes that much...but maybe I'm wrong about that. It was a spectacle to try and demonstrate how "enlightened" the Academy has become. In fact, the Academy will probably continue to ignore really great actors and actresses, and directors, no matter what their race might be. Glad that Poitier got the recognition he did, but, in my opinion, it was just more window dressing for the rather corrupt Academy.

Thomas

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx