Naomi Klein in Argentina

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Wed Mar 27 13:00:12 PST 2002

Brad wrote:

>> Right, Brad, "freedom" is the rationing of scarce goods to the richest...

>> john mage

> The rationing of PCs to the richest? PCs that currently cost less

> than 2% of annual median household income?

> To conflate a governmental fiat--"thou shalt not have"--with an astonishingly

> low market price--"thou may havest if thou payest 2% of annual income"--seems

> to fail to register many necessary and important distinctions.

Rationing in *Cuba* -- as Fernandez said (and the evident corollary): "If we didn't have an embargo, there could be computers for everybody" and as long as that is not the case, then PCs are rationed by means other than wealth. The cost of a PC for Cuba is lots more than "2% of annual median household income." The embargo becomes a tool for you to beat up on ... Cuba.

And diff between BoreGush: remember where Plan Colombia came from?

john mage