Denzel Washington

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Mar 27 15:51:02 PST 2002

The progressive aspect of the film is that it is a harsh condemnation of police brutality-- it starts off with Denzel promoting the idea that liberal types don't understand what is needed to fight crime and even promotes the idea that black tough cops like Denzel's Olanza represent what the community really wants to fight the scum in the community. And yeah, it takes one to know one, but as long as the job is getting done, why degrudge a bit of a taste to the guardian of the community? And Denzel uses all of his charisma to sell that viewpoint initially, taking in his young liberal-minded white colleague Ethan Hawke.

And then the whole story gets flipped, as the true brutality of Alonzo comes out. The end story goes a bit over the top in the degree of violence and convoluted plot, but it's a harsh story that reveals that this kind of police brutality is not supported by the community either. Denzel is not playing an antihero as representatve of the black community, but to highlight that he is a betrayer of that community.

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "Max Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 6:36 PM Subject: RE: Denzel Washington

Jaded my fanny. The Harris character is a complete gangster. Having a little son doesn't do much to humanize him. It doesn't stop him from waging a wild gun battle in his girlfriend's apartment, while the little one is toddling about.

Washington is good in the role, the story is interesting and hangs together, but it sounds like the writer(s) are missing the point. The nature of the breakout, career-wise, is that DZ plays a completely evil person rather than a protagonist. Much worse than, say, the Fishburne character (Bumpy Johnson, I think) in that other movie with Vanessa Williams, whose title ("Hoodlum"?) escapes me. Fishburne only murders white gangsters and corrupt cops, and tells Williams (who plays a Salvation Army type) that more honorable careers are closed to him.

The irony in the mundane title of Training Day is that the new recruit basically goes through Hell, with Harris as host.

mbs