Denzel Washington

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Mar 27 20:29:03 PST 2002

The progressive aspect of the film is that it is a harsh condemnation of police brutality-- it starts off with Denzel promoting the idea that liberal types don't understand what is needed to fight crime and even promotes the idea that black tough cops like Denzel's Olanza represent what the community really wants to fight the scum in the community. And yeah, it takes one to know one, but as long as the job is getting done, why degrudge a bit of a taste to the guardian of the community? And Denzel uses all of his charisma to sell that viewpoint initially, taking in his young liberal-minded white colleague Ethan Hawke.

And then the whole story gets flipped, as the true brutality of Alonzo comes out. The end story goes a bit over the top in the degree of violence and convoluted plot, but it's a harsh story that reveals that this kind of police brutality is not supported by the community either. Denzel is not playing an antihero as representatve of the black community, but to highlight that he is a betrayer of that community. Nathan Newman ******************

[anybody who hasn't seen the film and prefers to be surprized should stop reading]

I don't think it's that clear. The film is susceptible to your reading, so to speak, but to me Alonzo is a little too cool to support a simple brutality image. Even his demise is spectacular. It takes a squadron to take him out. By contrast, the Harvey Keitel character in 'Bad Lieutenant' was brutal in an uncharismatic way. Or think of the Samuel Jackson character in Jackie Brown, who you are very glad to see die.

The film likes Alonzo a little too much, even when he's being bad. That's its flaw, I would say. It's a kind of wallow in how nasty-cool Alonzo is. I don't see much of a higher purpose in it.

You could say the film is progressive because the corruption it portrays goes so deep (the scene in the bar), but it's also depressing for that.

mbs