Denzel Washington

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Wed Mar 27 20:56:35 PST 2002

max:

> I don't think it's that clear. The film is susceptible to your
> reading, so to speak, but to me Alonzo is a little too cool to
> support a simple brutality image. Even his demise is spectacular.
> It takes a squadron to take him out. By contrast, the Harvey Keitel
> character in 'Bad Lieutenant' was brutal in an uncharismatic way.

still haven't seen "training day," but harvey keitel's character, while both brutal and uncharismatic is nevertheless sympathetic because he's so fucked up. he's genuinely sick but (and maybe there's no 'but') there's also a genuine struggle in the character. that's what makes it more than just a grotesque. that, frankly, is what makes it interesting.

now i feel rather as if i ought to go see training day. and i need to watch 'bad lieutenant' again, anyway.