Indian GDP

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Mar 28 18:54:26 PST 2002

From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: Indian GDP

> Any comments on this? Is this real growth or hothouse growth?
>
> At 9:33 AM -0500 3/28/02, The Dismal Scientist wrote:
> >GDP for India (6.3%)

I am not an economist, but I would take such quick estimates with a pinch of salt. Growth for 2000-2001 is now pegged at 4%, when preliminary estimates claimed growth rate of 5.4%. (National Sample Survey carried out in 1997 claimed that literacy had gone up to 67%, but Census 2001 shows literacy at 62%.) I don't know what 2001-2002 growth will ultimately look like, particularly since so much depends on the growth in agriculture.

Ulhas