Russia, Ukraine, CIS

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Fri Mar 29 01:24:57 PST 2002

Joanna said:

(Also when Kagarlitsky was visiting in the bay area, he spoke at length about the desperation of just about everyone (especially the Modovans) to enjoy the high living standards of Moscow. ---------

I say:

"Moldova" has become virtually a synonym for "rat hole" in Moscow. When I expressed an interest in visiting Moldova a while ago (something I still want to do), people would just look at me flabbergasted. "You do NOT want to go to Moldova." I have also been warned not to sit with strangers at bars because "Who knows, they might be Moldovans." They're even lower than Caucasians in the immigrant societal pecking order; they do jobs no Muscovite would ever, ever do.

Of course, Muscovites tend to be snobs and kinda racist and look down even on people from St. Petersburg. :)

Chris Doss The Russia Journal