Israeli war crimes in Ramallah

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sun Mar 31 07:37:44 PST 2002

I'm afraid you've understated the case in one sense, and overstated in another.

To me the White House line in response to present events, to wit, "Arafat has to do more" etc. is a total, explicit green light, not any sort of reprobation. I don't think the US is fooling anybody. Where it ends I couldn't say.

Comparisons to Nazis and KR are ridiculous. We're in ethnic cleansing mode here, not killing fields. The worst I would expect of Israel is mass transfer, again in emulation of Milosevich or Taliban/OBL. Can't we classify mass murder a little bit more carefully?

The Post coverage of all this is pretty bad. Today there was a confessional piece by a 'former' Israeli peace activist. But they did cover the execution of the PA policemen.

mbs

All Israelis, including the wonderful people I know there, are going to pay for this. The knowledge that Israel is guilty of the same crimes as the Khmer Rouge or the Nazis is going to be far more crushing for them than living in fear of bombs. March 30 could be the day that Israel, in open defiance of a UNSC resolution calling for a pullout, finally and clearly became a rogue nation. The question is now, how long can the US fool the world with mild reprobations without materially withdrawing any of its support for Israel? How, in fact, is the EU going to back its support for the PA with sanctions for Israel? The Arabs, the Moslems, and the Third World as a whole is watching to see if the empire is going to punish its rogue offspring with even a fraction of the murderous ferocity it showed towards innocent Afghan, Iraqi, Serbian, Libyan, Panamanian, etc. civilians.

Hakki