Food Is *Clearly* Not a Human Right

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 31 10:34:50 PST 2002

>Justin, your reasoning here is kinda goonie. Why should the fact
>that basic human rights and in particular food vary among persons
>make it difficult to employ the vocab of rights?

Because, as old Karl says, it involves the application of an equal standard to unequal things. I was really just applying Marx's point in the CGP to food "rights" here. Hakki caight that right way.

The distinction you
>make below seems more a concrete application of the prinicple that
>humans can make a claim on food.

But it's misleading to put it that way. You can say sensibly that people have a right to means to live, and that can be realized by ensuring that they get what they need to get those means. No problem there. But if you say, a right to food, you raise the question, what food and how much? What do I have a right to if I have a right to food? And were are my lobster tails?

I've no knowledge of perhaps
>the specialized discourse on rights, but having a right a_to_ something
>is probably as difficult to discuss as freedom _to_ , but it shouldn't
>preclude identifying general rights or freedoms.

Sure. You have to identify them sensibly, though,

jks