Balkanization

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 31 13:43:49 PST 2002

Luke says: >Actual oppression is neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition for the
>continued existence of poisonous ill-will.

No, but helps a lot. Look, the thing isn'tto get the I's and P's to love each other. It's to get the I's foot off the P's next, first because that's right in itself, whatever effect it may have on their attitudes towards each other. Second, it's to stop them from killing each other. My sense is that most P's are just normal folks who want to be left alone. They will not be blowing themselves up if they can go about their lives in a normal, if impoverished, manner, which is about the best one can hope for in the circumstances. They are not so crazed with hatred that if they have fields to farm they will harken to the call of radicals to do extreme things merely out of spite. Likewise, most I's are heartily sick of all this. The settlers are vicious crazoids, but most I's just want to be able to go the mall or a cafe without worrying about being blown up. They will not support attacks if there is peace. There will be peace if and only if the Israelis get the fuck out of the Gaza & the West Bank. Maybe in a generation, then, their kids will learn to like each other. Right now they don't have to like each other. They just have to leave each other alone. That's not so hard, is it? jks