Balkanization

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Sun Mar 31 19:30:09 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2002 1:43 PM Subject: Re: Balkanization

> Second, it's to stop them from killing each other.

Yes, that's a fairly important consideration.

> They will not be
> blowing themselves up if they can go about their lives in a normal, if
> impoverished, manner, which is about the best one can hope for in the
> circumstances.

Whose to say that Hamas and Islamic Jihad won't hope for better circumstances? We're all too familiar with what means they employ to bring about their desired ends.

> They are not so crazed with hatred that if they have fields
> to farm they will harken to the call of radicals to do extreme things
merely
> out of spite.

Not merely out of spite. It seems likely that many Palestinians (justifiably, in more than one sense) would still feel that they have a right to more than just Gaza and the West Bank.

> but most I's just want to be able to go the mall or a
> cafe without worrying about being blown up.

Can't disagree with that statement.

> They will not support attacks if
> there is peace. There will be peace if and only if the Israelis get the
fuck
> out of the Gaza & the West Bank.

That's almost certainly true. I'm just not sure it's enough to ensure peace.

> Maybe in a generation, then, their kids
> will learn to like each other. Right now they don't have to like each
other.
> They just have to leave each other alone. That's not so hard, is it? jks

Judging from appearances, it looks pretty fucking difficult.

-- Luke