Balkanization

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 31 18:41:06 PST 2002

> > Balkanization caused the war
> > in Yugo. In 1990, most Yugos felt thay they were Yugos, not Serbs or
> > Bosnians or whatever.
>
>I'm not so sure that's what they felt, but the CW is that Tito did a
>terrific job of suppressing long-simmering ethnic tensions.

The CW is wrong. Tito did a fabulous job of creating a Yugosolav national identity. The language used to be called Serbo-Croatian, and even Sebs and Croats couldn't tell who was what. I have known dozens of Yugoslavs, had em for grad students even, and they boith manifested this identity and agreed with writers like Brank Magas that it absolutely existed. Sebs married Croats and Montenegrans, Slovenians lived happily cheek by jowl with Bonisan Muslims, Sarajevo was one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world. The myth that everyone was at everyone else's throat but for the police is just false.

>So you think conditions would improve if the peace keepers vacated the
>region ASAP?

Wonderful, First you pro-interventionists make a mess of things and then you say look! We're needed to clean it up! Humpty Dumpty has been pushed off the wall by two savage and unnecessary wars. My point is that they were unnecessary and caused by Western intervention as well as local political grandstanding. As to the current situation, I don't know enough. I do know that it isn't likely to have turned out thsi way if we hadn't butted in.

> > Why not? Because the Palestineans are so crazed that even if they have
>their
> > farms and shops they won't be able to stop themselves from warpping
> > themselves in explosives and blowing themselves up in cafes and buses in
> > Israel? Why do you think so?
>
>It's not a matter of crazed Palestinians, but rather of two peoples whose
>perceived "rights" conflict.

You are convinced that the Palestinians want to push the Israelis into the sea, fat chance. I disagree. There are a minority of extremists who commit terrorist outrages. Just now they are gaining widespread support because of the Israeli occupation. Take that away, and most Palestinians will be happy to live peaceful lives, let the PA handle the bad guys. It's worth a try.

jks