placing the palestinian struggle

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Mar 31 20:43:01 PST 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Chris Kromm wrote:
>
> >A prominent African-American activist recently said in a talk that "the
> >leading liberation struggle of our time is that of Palestine." Much like
> >South Africa in the 1980s, it should be the focus of progressives in the
> >U.S., so that we can build critical mass -- since we live in the country, of
> >course, which has the power to shape the outcome of the conflict. (For those
> >of you who are secretly wondering, the speaker is/was resolutely opposed to
> >anti-Semitism, and made that point repeatedly, so this wasn't an anti-Jewish
> >thing.)
> >
> >What do people think of this assessment? And if "yes," what is to be done?
>
> Kind of hard to rank these things, but isn't the Bush drive for
> imperial war pretty frightening?
>
> Doug

Yes -- but the two (Palestine & Bush's war) seem increasingly inseparable (at least from the perspective of raising resistance to either). Have you seen Sharon's statement (issued today I believe) in effect declaring unconditional war on the Palestinians and wrapping it in the war on terrorism?

Carrol