placing the palestinian struggle

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sun Mar 31 21:17:16 PST 2002

I tend to agree, but not exactly for the same reason. There are other liberation struggles too. In and of itself it is not obvious why this one has unique merit, aside from the current offensive by Israel.

By all appearances, Sharon's strategy entails wrecking all U.S. ties with Arab/Moslem nations, in keeping with the Defense Department jihadists around Richard Perle, Frank Gaffney, Wolfowitz, etc. The wonder is that the Bush Administration seems inclined to let them do it.

The resulting isolation of the U.S./Israel alliance IMO makes for huge dangers to international peace, going well beyond Palestine.

mbs

(For those
> >of you who are secretly wondering, the speaker is/was resolutely opposed
> >anti-Semitism, and made that point repeatedly, so this wasn't an
anti-Jewish
> >thing.)
> >
> >What do people think of this assessment? And if "yes," what is to be
done?

> Kind of hard to rank these things, but isn't the Bush drive for
> imperial war pretty frightening?
>
> Doug

Yes -- but the two (Palestine & Bush's war) seem increasingly inseparable (at least from the perspective of raising resistance to either). Have you seen Sharon's statement (issued today I believe) in effect declaring unconditional war on the Palestinians and wrapping it in the war on terrorism?

Carrol