Upton Sinclair, The Brass Check

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed May 1 16:02:06 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Dennis Robert Redmond wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 1 May 2002, Dennis Perrin wrote:
> >
> >> I'll take independent capitalists over the mega-corp press any day.

I read _Brass Check_ 55 years ago, but if I remember right one of Sinclair's items was the suppression of a story by an "independent" paper involving a rape committed by the son of an "independent" dept. store owner.

There really are advantages to "mega-corp" press. Our local paper the _Pantagraph_, is still a lousy paper after being bought first by the Chronicle and then by the Post-Dispatch -- but not anywheres near as lousy as it was when a local capitalist owned it.

Bertie McCormick controlled the Associated Press, and the AP refused to service the Chicago Sun when Marshall Field founded it back in the mid-forties. The Sun had to go to court to break that power. _That_ Marshall Field was a liberal, the paper was wonderful for a couple of years. But his son was _not_ a liberal, and by the '50s it was no longer even trying to be a special paper of any sort.

Carrol