Hitchens on single standards

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat May 4 07:43:17 PDT 2002

> yes, i am another "malignant fuck" or moral idiot too, if the
> choice is exclusively between carrying out war on the people of
> afghanistan and doing nothing, for i prefer the latter.
>
> --ravi

So, you'd rather see millions starve under the Taliban, which was quite possible, than having that famine averted, as Oxfam reported in January? You'd rather watch half of Afghanistan's population be turned into slaves and executed in soccer stadiums? Hell, even RAWA conceded in its recent statement that there's more room now for their efforts than under the "wolves" of the Taliban. Do you really believe it would have benefited the people of Afghanistan if we had done nothing?

DP