Hitchens on single standards

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Sat May 4 09:29:19 PDT 2002

Dennis Perrin wrote:
>>yes, i am another "malignant fuck" or moral idiot too, if the
>>choice is exclusively between carrying out war on the people of
>>afghanistan and doing nothing, for i prefer the latter.
>>
> So, you'd rather see millions starve under the Taliban, which was quite
> possible, than having that famine averted, as Oxfam reported in January?
> You'd rather watch half of Afghanistan's population be turned into slaves
> and executed in soccer stadiums? Hell, even RAWA conceded in its recent
> statement that there's more room now for their efforts than under the
> "wolves" of the Taliban. Do you really believe it would have benefited the
> people of Afghanistan if we had done nothing?

so this whole war on terrorism was to save the afghani people from the taliban? so why did *you* wait till 9/11? and you believe that declaring war and killing many afghani people was the best way to achieve this betterment of their condition?

*we* could have done a lot. declaring war on afghanistan was one of the less productive ones among those things we could have done. thats what i believe. and i agree with jks that we were morally wrong in pursuing that particular line of action.

the guy from the UN who spoke at the event doug moderated in nyc, used the same logic. as if our primary goals (a better life for the people of afghanistan, as they define it) are achievable only as some sort of side-effect or unintended consequence of another activity! kind of like the selfishness theories of capitalism or dawkins' biology...

dennis, i appreciate your responding to me. if you detect animosity in my response, attribute it to frustration, and my apologies. i just do not understand the argument you outline above, and i feel it has dangerous and apologist consequences.

--ravi