Terror Inc.

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat May 4 07:54:07 PDT 2002

Dennis Breslin:

> I think Dennis Perrin errs in overstating the power, solidity,
> and significance of Al Q - the Taliban and Al Q may well be a
> kind of last gasp of attempts to create a pan Islamic front as
> the groups and followers become or became more
> militant, repressive, and divisive.

I certainly hope you're right.

> Never one to vouch for military intervention, especially from
> someone like the US, Chomsky argued that the events of
> Sept. 11 ought to be treated as a crime, with an appropriate
> international police response, especially since the alleged
> offender wasn't a state. Is this position wrong? Or is it
> unsatisfying.

But what would be an "appropriate international police response"? I mean, if it meant going in and ridding the Afghans of the Taliban, would that upset you? I've seen plenty of people say they'd support a "police action" but they never say how it would differ from what the US did. And though I've plenty of problems with the way Bush went after al-Qaeda (dropping bomblets and Daisy Cutters on villages, for one), I've no problem with the effort, for it was necessary. I think that those who bleat about "police actions" and conducting "criminal investigations" are blowing smoke, 'cause when you get right down to it, they seem to prefer that nothing be done.

DP