'Terrism' Inc.

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Sat May 4 08:42:17 PDT 2002

first, I appreciate the position you're taking, for the most part. I just don't think it's worthwhile to portray the "War on Terrism" (not a typho!) as about making the lives of Afghans better.

At 11:16 AM 5/4/02 -0400, Dennis Perrin wrote:
>kelley:
>
> > Why oh why are Al-Q and the Taliban being lumped together like this?
> > Serious Q: Did I miss something? Is there a persuasive account of why they
> > should be considered nearly on and the same?
>
>Umm, kel, did you happen to miss that the Taliban allowed al-Qaeda free
>reign during their rule?

I think that's insignificant in the scheme of things.

>That they both subscribe to the same delusional,
>murderous vision?

no, i don't see Taliban as quite the same as Al-Q. I see neither group as actually having delusions of the sort you see. I don't see them as religious fanatics. I posted on that many times last fall.

>I'll grant that al-Qaeda is more sophisticated than the
>rubes of the Taliban, but in Afghanistan they were definitely connected.
>
> > Dennis, I think you can point out how lame some response on the left was,
> > without going down this path!
>
>What path is that?

ological

kelley