HISTORIC ANTIWAR DEMONSTRATION

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 4 09:40:00 PDT 2002

jacdon at earthlink.net wrote:

>Chuck0 wrote:
>
>>I'm not one of those who is interested in "building the left," mainly
>>because this abstract phrase is a codeword for "building authoritarian
>>sectarian parties." Don't like the fire, Jack? Things have changed.
>

>Unfortunately, things have not changed enough. The same sectors of the
>left which seemed to direct most of their fire at others on the left, to
>the detriment of the struggle against the actual enemy, appear to have
>learned nothing and forgotten nothing for the last hundred years. For
>the anarchist sector, the compelling need to focus upon and excoriate
>Marxism has been going on for 150 years. Your disinterest in building
>the left is entirely clear. Very little has changed in this respect.

You know, there are a lot of people who consider themselves Marxists - starting with me and the author of the Nation piece you dismissed as "sectarian and naive" - who aren't fond of IAC and ANSWER. Just as Zionists dismiss criticism of Israel as "anti-Semitic," sectarians dismiss criticism of their sects as red-baiting.

It's pretty funny to claim that it's anarchists spend much of their time criticizing other leftists rather than the bourgies. No one does that better than the Trots. Workers Vanguard spends as much time denouncing the ISO and other "fake Trotskyists" (as if the currency were so valuable you'd want to counterfeit it!) as it does on the real enemy.

Doug