'Terrism' Inc.

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Sat May 4 15:37:04 PDT 2002

At 05:18 PM 5/4/02 -0400, Chip Berlet wrote:
><...> OK, so if AlQ/Tlbn is not what
>you would call "religious fanatics" (an arguably demonizing term, if you
>appreciate puns), then what would you call US Protestant evangelicals who
>blow up reproductive rights clinics and shoot doctors?

US Protestants evangelicals who blow up ABORTION CLINICS. And the horse you rode in on Chip! What kind of feminist are you? I strongly object to characterizing them as reproductive rights clinics, since, as indicators of current abortion practice in the US, there is much need for more progressive reforms in this area before we could speak of them as reproductive rights clinics!

Gotcha! i didn't mean it about the horse you road in on. i am not into bestiality and i only beat my dead lesbian phallus, never horses. <snort>

Butt, seriously, I wouldn't call people who bomb clinics and murder abortionists--and I've done clinic defense in Terry Randall country!--religious fanatics, or anything close. Nor would I be especially interested in the danger of their millenarian ideologies for mounting a mass movement that might bring them to power--evangelical anti-abortionists or Al-Q or the Taliban or whomever. For one, I think it's always more complex than just religion, just as I think it's always more complex than just "it's the economy, stupid".