Reading Outside Your Circle

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Mon May 6 09:57:18 PDT 2002

what would you
> identify as a book you
> should read outside of your usual circle?

One person that I like to read outside of my usual circle is the literary critic, Bloom. Quite often I find myself in agreement with him in regards to the Left overpoliticizing their readings of literature. On top of that, I make it a point to NOT read only political tracts (or technical books for my work) and to read lots of literature. I think the novel can help us to withold our judgement of characters long enough to help us understand them integrally. That's important for being a human being, because politics -any politics- is very judgemental and tends to view people according to categories.

I read a lot of Lenin back in my "vanguardist" youth and I dont feel it worthwhile to revisit the leninist literature or the maoist. That's a closed book for me now. I guess on the Left one author I should read more would be Gramsci.

-Thomas

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx