Reading Outside Your Circle (Re: Anarchism vs. Marxism)

RangerCat67 at aol.com RangerCat67 at aol.com
Mon May 6 14:25:07 PDT 2002

Well, for what little it's worth, I've been reading Michael Oakeshott's Rationalism in Politics, getting that queasy feeling that comes with reading the work of someone who was clearly a brilliant and systematic thinker and yet so willfully blind at the same time. (I'm having a hard time finding left and liberal responses to his writings, and I very highly recommend Hanna Fenichel Pitkin's extended essay on Oakeshott from the autumn 1973 issue of Dissent. She's probably saved about a half dozen young lives in the three decades since that issue came out.) I'm also reading books by some young lib-cons of today, such as Virginia Postrel's The Future and its Enemies and Cathy Young's Ceasefire!, and wonder why I even bother.