Elbaum's "Revolution in the Air"

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Mon May 6 21:01:38 PDT 2002

Thomas Seay wrote:

> --- Chip Berlet <cberlet at igc.org> wrote:
> > >
> > The group I was talking about ended up the Communist
> > Workers Party.
> >

> I was in the Communist Workers Party...Maybe,
> probably, almost certainly I knew your wife. I came
> in to the WVO late (1977, as a senior in High School)
> but I remember the line was that homosexuality was
> bourgeois decadence. This line rather abruptly began
> to change around early 1980 when the CWP went through
> a major reversal of line.
>
> Anyway, I am about 60 pages into the Elbaum book, and
> it is an amazing chronicle of events of that time,
> although its analysis seems to be somewhat reformed
> "Line of March".

Have any of you read "Legacy to Liberation" published by AK Press? I'm slowly working my way through it, with the view of reviewing it for APR. It's an anthology on the history of Asian-American activism in the United States since the 1960s. It's an important book, but it is pretty awful in many places and very good in others. Some articles are filled with typos and others are uncritical histories of organizations told by the leadership of same organizations.

What's valuable to me as a white activist is to read about all of the struggles that have been conducted outside of the official narrative of American activism. While it was encouraging to read about grassroots struggles and campaigns, it was really depressing to read about the fixation with Marxist-Leninism and Maoism. After a while, your eyes glaze over after reading about which group worked with which group and what the lines were for the sectarian groups.

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)