Terror, etc.

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Tue May 7 13:48:19 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com>

No, I've alwys said that ll the military we need is the National Guard and the Coast Guard--gotta protect ourselves against them rambunctious Canucks and hostile Mexicanos, not to mention the Nicaraguans just three days drive from Brownville, TX. But really, coastal defense is about all we need.

Except that even if we got rid of the imperial dynamic in the US, the overhang/interia of the system is not going to eliminate for a long time the anger of those who've been wronged by it and, in all likelihood, are going to continue to try and seek revenge.

Granted we don't need a big war machine to prevent this--it can't--but how would you prevent further attacks on the US without some form of projecting power into other States? A bigger, 'smarter' INTERPOL/FBI/CIA/NSA gives me and lots of other people the creeps; how to keep them in check when the incentives for secrecy/treachery would be even greater?

Ian