Gore Vidal

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed May 8 06:55:14 PDT 2002

>Well, he always struck me as a very well educated, belle-lettres elitist.
>He has a nice Wildean wit: "Nowadays the only thing that doesn't change is
>the avant garde!"....but I have yet to make it through one of his novels.

ACtually I just reread most of his American history sequence, got tired part way through Empire. It's all done in the style of Henry Adama' Democracy, clearly his model, with more sex. He's very good, but not so good as Adams, while is just as malicious and a lot funnier, and Vidal is pretty funny. Vidal's Lincoln is genuinely wonderful, give it a try. A while ago I read Creation, which is fascinating, puts paid to the idea that Vidal has prejudices against Asiatic hordes. jks