another textbook querry

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Thu May 9 09:10:36 PDT 2002

At 11:12 AM 5/9/02 +0800, Jacob Segal wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Sorry to trouble the list with another specific question, but my spouse is
>being pressured to teach an introduction to sociology course with a textbook
>in a new job. She was wondering if anyone had suggestion about a good, left
>text for that course.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jacob Segal

Hi Jacob,

Thought you or your wife might be interested in the Simulation Game, below. In my estimation, there aren't many lefty textbooks out there. Personally, I use Lisa J McIntyre's _The Practical Skeptic: Core Concepts in Sociology_ along with a reader _The Practical Skeptic: Readings in Sociology_. In addition, I usually assign a couple of monographs or compile another reader of material.

anyway, the simulation seem like it might be interesting -- since it's about power and resistance and uses Seattle...

<forward>

Power and its many faces...POwer and its one face.

For what its worth here is a simulation (paper and pencil based) where you can try out your hand at a conflict where use of guns and use of protest came smashing together. Ill let the author, Brian Train, describe it for you.

"A mini-game inspired by the anti-WTO riots in Seattle November 30 - December 3, 1999. Sort of a hybrid of my Civil Power game and Joe Miranda's LA Lawless, this one has 96 counters, an 11x17" area map of downtown Seattle, and the usual 3-4 pages of rules and charts. It came together very quickly and I think you'll like it, that is if you like this sort of thing. Was published in the March 2000 issue of Strategist, the newsletter of the Strategy Gaming Society."

But hell, you can have a copy of your own right here right now! Download these files and print them out, and simulate urban mayhem at home!"

http://www.islandnet.com/~citizenx/lilwars.html#freegame

The game uses an Exposure Index that reflects the reaction to certian actions from both sides of the situation. The Armed Forces of LAw and ORder could blow the goal by using "gun power" and causing a public reaction against then but they can alaso loose the public confidence if they do not control the situation.

The author of this sim also has created another one for the Microgame Design Contest I am running. Here is his entry, which is a look at the day when the Ruskies rolling into Budapest