Best Available Weapon

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Thu May 9 10:06:06 PDT 2002

Consider this. I will say it cautiously because it is deeply, deeply contentious.....

Several years ago, Winnie Mandela made a statement which shocked most middle-class values. She said (something like: I paraphrase) we will liberate South Africa without our matches and tyres - a reference to the method of "necklacing" people, burning them to death (I narrowly escaped an attack like this - i was drenched in petrol, but that's another story)...

What Winnie Mandela was saying, according to my interpretation, is that without guns, bombs etc, people will use whatever means they have available to fight the beast.

Let's turn to Palestine: The Palestinians feel aggrieved, some would say rightfully so, and their main/best weapon is the suicide bomber.

Just a Thought - not a pleasant one, though