Song about ANSWER and co...

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Thu May 9 10:15:41 PDT 2002

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [ACC] song about ANSWER and co... Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 13:05:43 -0400 From: Sweazl at aol.com

Check out this new song from folksinger David Rovics. hehehe :)

(...The second, "Vanguard," is my answer to ANSWER and other sectarians. Perhaps in "Vanguard" I run the risk of seeming self-righteous, or of letting anarchists or others off of the sectarian hook. This is not my intent. My intent is to comment on the divisive role certain sectarian organizations play, and to say (not universally, but to many) "leave your party and join the movement!")

(more stuff at www.davidrovics.com)

Vanguard David Rovics

Worker's World says that they have all the answers And Milosevic is a guy that they admire The ISO says Trotsky is the man And they'll debate it until they all expire The industrial workers will lead the revolution So claims the SWP No, the truth lies among the lumpen That's the RCP

The Sparts say the rest can go to hell And everyone else is a Stalinist The CP will just do their thing And pretend the others don't exist Well I had a realization this morning When I looked into the red and dawning sun I've figured out the truth And I'm forming a party of one

(Chorus) I am the leader of the workers And I'll tell you why the Left is circumspect Because there's something you don't understand Only my line is correct 'Cause I am the vanguard of the masses And all of you should just follow me If you doubt my analysis You must be in the petty bourgeoisie

But I am not sectarian It's all the rest who are I work fine in coalitions As long as I'm the shining star So bow down to your master The lastest V.I. Lenin And off to the camps to all of you Who'd say, "not this again"

'Cause I am the leader of the workers... ...I'll fill your head with propaganda 'til you agree

And I'll have no music at my protests And none of that goddamn puppetry I'll just have some somber slogans No decadent frivolity My chants will be the right ones Just the ones that should be said And my banners we'll wave proudly Just the proper shade of red

And I will build the party if it kills me I am solely dedicated to the cause If I have to stab you in the back This won't give me pause 'Cause my platform will take us forward And the ends always justify the means And you must step aside behind me Be you Quakers, Jews, anarchists or greens

'Cause I am the leader of the workers... ...I'll make sure that you agree