re Jon Stewart

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu May 9 20:44:41 PDT 2002

Cosby said the same thing on Arsenio. I remember it clearly; wasn't often you heard Aptheker's name on a network tv show.

mbs

One of my greatest shocks on TV came a few years ago when I saw Bill Cosby interviewed by, I think, Larry King. Cosby was asked what American writer or political figure he admired most. King probably expected him to say Martin Luther King or something. Instead, Cosby thought a minute and replied -- Herb Aptheker, calling him one of the greatest historians of the African American experience. King just went "hmmm" and went on to other things. That raised my approval rating for Bill Cosby about a hundred points. TS