anti-zionism

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Fri May 10 16:15:14 PDT 2002

Justin, if you think that kostunica in serbia is a compliant tool of the USG, I dunno. I used to read the daily B-92 e-mail upate from there and other sources, and Kostunica, the translator of The Federalist Papers into Serbo- Croat constantly criticizes the USG. Hell, I remember seeing when he was elected seeing on a Kosovar website a photo of him holding a rifle in the Bosnian Serb enclave when that mad psychiatrist, Radovan Karazdic was in power.Even, the ex-student of Habermas, Djindic, called, "pro-western, 'in the NYT, Waash. Post, etc. has angry things to say about how little western aid has gone there to rebuild.

Several yrs. ago, I read, "Serbian Politics in the 90's, " by Robert Thomas, Columbia Univ. Press, an exhaustively detailed acct. from Serbian newspapers and academic works with all the dirty shit that Milosevic and his, "favorite politician in the opposition, " the neo-fascist, V. Seslj, did to construct a corrupt kleptocracy anchored in racist,nationalist fantasies from myths around 1389.One can say that during the latter period of Tito's rule the indebtness to the IMF lit the fuse for the disintration of Yugoslavia. Milosevic, after he ousted his mentor, the humane Communist, Ivan Stambolic (who was later assainated) poured millions of gallons of petrol on it. After a war in Bosnia that killed 200,000, the shelling of Dubrovnik and Sarajevo, and ineffectual UN and EU negotiations that were cynically exploited by Milosevic, Mladic et. al. to buy time, and a decade of intensifying repression in Kosovo (while the non- violent opposition of such as Rugova and V. Serroi was ignored, though they had mass support articulated in underground schools and social servive provision (like Charter 77's, "Flying Universities," in Czechoslovakia in the 80's). an initially miniscule guerilla movement, the KLA, with origins in Hoxhaite Albanianism AND SS Kandahar Division Nazi racism, emerges...

All this stuff in narrated with abundent detail in the books by Tim Judah, "Kosovo:War and Revenge, " the Samantha Power book, I mentioned, after Peter K. did, "A Problem From Hell: America And Genocide, " already in it's 4th printing, the new book by Louis Sell, published by Duke Univ. Press on Serbia and Milosevic, the Laura Silber book with Allan Little from Penguin, and many others. Michael Pugliese