U.S wants "gooey, smelly" weapons

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Sun May 12 06:47:17 PDT 2002

ChrisD(RJ):
> Gooey, noisy, smelly weapons under study for use when
> non-lethal force needed
> By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID
> Associated Press Writer
> WASHINGTON (AP) - Life could suddenly become a sticky,
> noisy, smelly, altogether unpleasant mess for rioters or
> enemies that authorities want stopped but not killed.

Many of the weapons listed would be small and portable, making them excellent tools for private activities ranging from vandalism to full-scale terrorism and guerrilla warfare, along the lines of military anthrax. I'm reminded of a passage in a science fiction novel, _Stand_On_Zanzibar_ I think, where vandals entertain themselves destroying a major bridge by infecting it with steel-eating bacteria.

-- Gordon