Zionism and Anti-Zionism

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Mon May 13 13:22:26 PDT 2002

>>"The Palestinian Authority must reform itself at its base: all
>>areas - security, economic, legal and social - and it must take
>>responsibility over itself. We cannot have peace with a corrupted
>>terrorist dictatorship."
>
>So, Israel's idea of a Palestinian state is one whose leadership and
>structure they specify. That's not an independent state - it's
>somewhere between a colony and a bantustan.
>
>Doug

You think Israel should turn over the West Bank to a corrupted terrorist dictatorship? To a corrupt dictatorship, yes--that was, IMHO, Clinton's and Rabin's plan: make Yasser Arafat King of the West Bank and make him responsible for controlling Hamas, because he would have something to lose if Hamas slipped its leash too often and wise peacemaker Rabin lost an election to Netanyahu or Sharon...

And surely from the Israeli standpoint the current situation is much better than a Palestinian state on the West Bank that launches daily "martyrdom operations" against bat mitzvahs. Israel has to see the Palestinian authority's definition of "peace" as an improvement over the current situation, doesn't it?...

Brad DeLong