Hotbeds of dissent

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Mon May 13 19:16:33 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 2:53 PM Subject: Re: Hotbeds of dissent

> Not when "mainstream liberals" (who won't even use the L-word) are to the
> right of Richard Nixon.

This debate (i.e. is the DLC to the right of Dick Nixon?) proved to be eminently unilluminating way back in February. In any event, many UM instructors are decidedly to the left of Richard Nixon and the majority of Americans. I have quite a number of liberal, moderate, and conservative acquaintances on campus, and I doubt any of them would take issue with that statement. Hell, there are even some genu-wine radikkal faculty members that may merit a LBO-talk stamp of approval.

> And that's NOT an overstatement. It is is literally
> true. No Dem could get nominated to any office of trust, much lesselected,
> running on the platform of things taht Richard Nixon actually did or
pressed
> for.

If Richard Nixon were reincarnated and ran for president in '04, I doubt any of the items listed below would make their way onto his platform. Times have changed, and so, unfortunately, has the political climate.

-- Luke

.