Zionism and Anti-Zionism

eric dorkin eric_dorkin at yahoo.com
Tue May 14 10:38:09 PDT 2002

last night as I was flipping the channels I came across Keyes show on MSNBC (I think) and he was discussing the "situation" in the Middle East and one of his first two guests was a youngish gentlemen who writes for the Jersusalem Post and who worked as an adviser to Bibi. On the issue of a Palestinian state, he said, and I am paraphrasing closely: "Israel can not be expected to allow for a P. state. You cannot let the Ps (1) import weapons, (2) sign treaties with countries like Iraq, and (get this!!) (3) control Israel's water." Given that Israel does ALL three right now with respect to the Ps, I thought the hubris and hypocrisy most exceptional. My poor fiance was forced to listen to about an hour of my ranting after that whopper! Needless to say, no one called him on the comment. More fun: Keyes was trying to make the argument that Bibi's actions make Sharon "look" more moderate because there is someone to his right. What to say with this one.....that would be true only if the rest of the world FORGOT what they already knew about Sharon. Plus, do we get to call Pat Buchanan and Alan Keyes moderates because David Duke is farther to the right? Yikes. Note to self: watch only Simpsons!

Max Sawicky <sawicky at bellatlantic.net> wrote: > Brad DeLong says:
> > there are people on both sides--more
> > on the Arab side, I think, however--who love the smell of napalm
>
> Ah yes, when the argument isn't going your way, simply resort to pure,
> unadulterated racism. Where are the cries from the rest of the list about
> the "smell test" the supposedly comes into play whenever someone says
> anything about "the Jews"? But say "the Arabs" and make allusions to their
> violent, aggressive, terrorist nature (while simultaneously playing the
> stupid and bankrupt "violence is bad on both sides" non-argument) and ...
> hey man, it's all good.

I'm too busy changing '\' to '/' on my web site for all those poor sods with Netscape 4.79 to read all these messages, so I don't have time to correct everyone's mistakes, but BDL did say "people on both sides-more on the Arab side" and not "the Arabs." The grammar is quite different and, I think, acceptable.

mbs