Nixon's the One

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue May 14 12:34:02 PDT 2002

>The upside of having Dems in office is that we don't have to listen
>to people explaining how much better things would be were Dems in
>office. If Gore were prez, Afg and Jenin would be pretty much as they
>are now and fiscal policy would be tighter, but there might be fewer
>illusions on the so-called left on why that was.

I resent the implication that I defend Dems more when they are out of office. I am a slavish apologist even when they are in office :)

"Fiscal policy would be tighter"-- yep, a trillion dollars would not have been given away to the wealthy and the deficit would not be heading for $170 billion this year. I understand Keynesianism, but a lot of leftists take it to a point of fetishism, as if running a deficit shows some kind of virtue by the Reagans and Bushs of the world.

-- Nathan Newman