Hotbeds of dissent

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue May 14 12:25:38 PDT 2002

So, Clinton, a center-right Democrat is, an extreme conservative? What does that make say, Jesse Helms, who is one?

I'm as tired of fundraising letters from the ACLU and the DNC that scream about the, "Radical Right, " on behalf of centrist policies that drift further Right with each yr. But, a realistic perception of the political terrain, is not represented by such absurdities as saying that the American academy is dominated by the Right.Peruse the editorial board of such journals as the American Journal of Sociology or the JAH or AHR in history. Isn't Eric Foner their current president. David Montgomery was one previous. Are not reading lists in zillions of classes full of classic works by William Appleman Williams, Zinn, E.P.Thompson, James Loewen, Chomsky, Edward Said?

And, as an aside, here is Rep. Cynthia McKinney, quoted in the latest Worker's Vanguard, from a polemic against divestment from Israel. Speaking at the A20 Rally in D.C. "I believe we can once again make America a force for god in the world.We are the world's most powerful nation and have a responsibility to act in defense of the weak and to protect them from harm." Why, that Social Imperialist! Michael Pugliese