Nixon's the One

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Tue May 14 13:31:59 PDT 2002

"Seth Ackerman" <sia at nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Brad DeLong wrote:

> > Brad DeLong, who is suddenly contemplating the virtues of the New
> > Hampshire license plate...
>
> "Live free or die." Yet another manifestation of the sick culture of
> martyrdom and death that has infected certain societies....
>
> Seth

I thought this motto originated with French revolutionaries, I think the 1870 Commune but maybe it was 1848.

There is a picture of a revolutionary poster in Julie Kristeva's (sp?) book showing Marianne with the legend Vivre libre ou mourir! I forget the title of her book.

The New Hampshire slogan is capitalist expropriation.

-- John K. Taber