Why U.S. supports Israel

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue May 14 15:07:56 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Heer, Jeet (National Post)" <JHeer at nationalpost.com>
>3) Among more secular folks, whites tend to support Israel more than
>non-whites. ..The Palestinians are just
>another group of natives to be pushed out of the way.

I actually agree with this point, but it points out why another argument used by some pro-Palestinians, namely that Arabs can't be anti-semites since they are the same race as Jews, doesn't hold up. Jews in Israel get denounced as white colonialists when it serves one rhetorical purpose, then get treated as just one more semetic race among many when their unique history wants to be denied.

Given the large number of Mizrachi/Sephardic Jews in Israel due to fleeing oppression in Arab states following the 1948 war, the "refugee" and "native" issue is not as completely one-sided as sometimes pictured. The Israelis are still far on the wrong side of the oppression stick on the Occupied Territories, but if the Palestinians deserve their own state instead of being absorbed into Jordan (as Sharon would have it), it would seem that the one million plus Jews in Israel who had to flee Arab oppression have a similar claim.

-- Nathan Newman