A footnote on value theory, but let's not get into this.

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue May 14 09:31:25 PDT 2002

A footnote on value theory, but let's not get into this. "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> Subject: Re:

>Brad DeLong wrote:
>
> > I seem to have fallen into an Orwellian neverland: I had not known
> > that there was anyone who denied that at some deep level Marx thought
> > of value as a substance--something created by socially-necessary
> > labor power, and thereafter preserved as commodities moved through
> > the sphere of circulation (let's not get into the destruction of
> > capital in crises).

Brad, I am not an expert in value theory--ask jim Devine or someone who has devoted decades to thinbking about it--but I have never read a Marxists who thought that value was a substance. It's ABC of Marxist economics that it is a relation. I am astounded that you didn't know this. The proposition is not really debateable; it's like arguing that Descartes is a dualist.

^^^^^^^^^

CB: Actually,I think Marx's exact formulation with the terms "value" and "substance" is in the heading of the first page of _Capital_, Use-value is the substance of value.

SECTION 1 THE TWO FACTORS OF A COMMODITY: USE-VALUE AND VALUE (THE SUBSTANCE OF VALUE AND THE MAGNITUDE OF VALUE)

The wealth of those societies in which the capitalist mode of production prevails, presents itself as "an immense accumulation of commodities," [1] its unit being a single commodity. Our investigation must therefore begin with the analysis of a commodity. http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/ch01.htm#S1

CB: Then he refers to "social substance"

Let us now consider the residue of each of these products; it consists of the same unsubstantial reality in each, a mere congelation of homogeneous human labour, of labour-power expended without regard to the mode of its expenditure. All that these things now tell us is, that human labour-power has been expended in their production, that human labour is embodied in them. When looked at as crystals of this social substance, common to them all, they are ― Values.