celebrity boxing update

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 15 06:50:14 PDT 2002

New York Post [Page Six] - May 15, 2002

Bobbitt breaks wife's bones

FOX Television has scratched John Wayne Bobbitt from tonight's taping of "Celebrity Boxing 2" because the former Marine with the reattached penis gave his current wife a bone-breaking beating on Monday night.

"He will not be in the special," a Fox spokeswoman told PAGE SIX.

The big question is whether Fox will find a replacement to square off against equally notorious Joey Buttafuoco, or whether Joey will be scratched too. "I can't comment any further," the spokeswoman said.

Bobbitt flew into a rage in their Las Vegas home when his wife, Joanne, said she didn't want to come with him to Los Angeles to see the fight live.

The misogynist with the maimed member - whose first wife, Lorena, cut off his penis in 1993 - was arrested and held overnight.

"I told him I didn't want to go to the celebrity boxing event, and he just lost it," Joanne told PAGE SIX. "He told me I was screwing everything up and that [Fox] was sending two tickets to the event, and I had to go."

After Bobbitt screamed at her, Joanne told him she was leaving him. "He went wild," she sobbed. "He picked me up and slammed me down on the concrete floor of the garage. He got down on his knees and started kneeing me."

Joanne's tailbone and finger were broken. When she got to the hospital, she called the cops. "They arrested him immediately because I had bruises all over my body," she said. "But he's posted the $5,000 bail now, and he's out. I'm so scared."

A Las Vegas police spokesman said Bobbitt was charged with misdemeanor battery and domestic violence, which could land him a year in jail.

Joanne, who plans to divorce Bobbitt, obtained a temporary restraining order against him. "I trusted him. I loved him, and he changed," she cried.

"We dated for a year, and he was wonderful. We got married on March 23 - his birthday - and his attitude just changed totally. He started being violent - physically and mentally - and telling me, 'I'm coming into money, and you're not.' I tried to tell him I didn't care about the money, that I loved him for him, but he wouldn't listen."

Cancer-stricken Joanne, who has a blind daughter, added: "Even John's own brother told me, 'I knew this would happen. He did this to Lorena.'

"Everyone told me that John just used me to help change his image, but I didn't believe them."

The other matches, which Fox will air May 22 at 8:30 p.m., feature Manute Bol vs. William ("Refrigerator") Perry, Darva Conger vs. Olga Korbut, and Ron Palillo ("sweathog" Horshack on "Welcome Back, Kotter") vs. Dustin Diamond, Screech on "Saved By the Bell."