Financial literacy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 16 11:22:33 PDT 2002

pms wrote:

>Hey Doug. I've been wondering if you're really serious about this. If you
>wouldn't mind discussing it further, contact me off list? Wiping out this
>debt could really tilt me towards a decent self-stuctured retirement. Would
>it hurt?

I'm answering on the list because I sometimes feel like shouting it from the rooftops. If you have a lot of credit card debt, think seriously about filing. Of course, running up the cards with the intention of filing after a good binge is bankruptcy fraud, and could get you in a lot of trouble. But if you're up to your ears in debt and you can barely make the monthly minimum - well that's why Congress made chapter 7.

I should say this just to keep Justin from jumping all over me for practicing law without a license: consult an attorney. I'm not one. And do it soon before the law changes (though Nathan assures us Tom Daschle won't let that happen).

Doug