Financial literacy

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Thu May 16 16:00:51 PDT 2002

>I should say this just to keep Justin from jumping all over me for
>practicing law without a license: consult an attorney. I'm not one.
>And do it soon before the law changes (though Nathan assures us Tom
>won't let that happen).

Never said they'd never do it-- although by my clock, he's already given folks two extra years to file since the bill first was passed in each House back in 2000.

Although the odd politics now is actually on the Republican side-- the current bill in the Senate doesn't allow the anti-abortion protesters to escape financial penalties by declaring bankrupty (as the Operation Rescue folks did). Dems on the committee like Schumer, who seem willing to screw their union/consumer base on this one, are not willing to abandon the pro-choicers so they are not budging on the issue.

So the question is whether the House pro-lifers like Henry Hyde will go with their corporate buddies or hang tough and let the bill die on behalf of their working class base.

So the politics are either the bill passes and the working class base of both parties are furious at their respective political leaders, or it dies and the corporate contirbutors on both sides will be furious. It's fascinating watching the whole thing maneuver into a no-win situation on both sides.

-- Nathan Newman