Cockburn: Israel and "Anti-Semitism"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 16 15:30:09 PDT 2002

eric dorkin wrote:

> I must disagree: the jewishness of an institution could matter in
>some instances and not in others. It seems to me that it is not
>corret to say that it is relevant or not relevant without further
>argumentation. One reason it is relevant is that it is difficult to
>otherwise explain why the NYT lacks sensitivity to the plight of the
>Palestinians...a patently true observation. It may be simple
>economics -- circulation would be worse witha pro-Palestinian
>editorial page.

That lack of "sensitivity" is endemic in U.S. society. The position of the NYT is almost indistinguishable from other publications and broadcasters. The paper reflects perfectly the thinking of the more liberal wing of the U.S. ruling class, just as the WSJ's editpage reflects that formation's right wing. With Zionists eager to treat every criticism of Israel as motivated by anti-Semitism, why do any of their work for them?

>Certainly, we are right to point out that the NYT and most papers do
>not have racial diversity.

Yup. But that's more a labor issue than a content issue.

Doug